Senior Scientist – Apply here
We are seeking a talented Senior Scientist to lead our C. elegans and mouse model memory extraction experiments in the Nectome lab. This individual will be responsible for improving the design of our experiments in extracting information correlates of memory from chemically fixed neural tissue. In addition, they will interface with the greater neuroscience community in two ways: collaborations and presenting contributions made to the field of memory science.
Exceptionally strong leadership and communications skills are essential for the position as this hire is expected to serve as a project team leader and grow the capabilities of junior scientists. You must have a deep understanding of the challenges in long-term memory research and the passion for technological innovation to tread new ground in memory extraction.
The experimental design activities include the exploration and adoption of staining and visualization protocols and the refinement of the experiment to improve impact. Key technical responsibilities include paper writing, literature searches, modelling, wet lab work, safety review, as well as presentation of the work internally, to key visitors of the lab, regulatory interactions, and scientific conferences.
Other responsibilities include planning, writing, and reviewing grant applications, experimental proposals, and experimental reports. Qualified candidates will be responsible for managing and developing a team of direct reports
This role will require creativity to develop new approaches for long-term memory research. Two skills that would likely help with this include:
- A strong aptitude for reviving and adapting older techniques from the literature
- The ability to create and maintain collaborations with groups that are pushing the field forward with modern techniques
- Ph.D. in a biological science plus postdoc or equivalent industry experience
- Solid record of accomplishments and publications as evidence of scientific knowledge
- Deep commitment to working as part of a team
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Demonstrated skills and passion for innovative neuroscience research and identification of new formats for understanding long-term memory
Who We Are
Nectome is a research company located in South San Francisco dedicated to building techniques for long-term memory preservation and extraction. We develop biological preservation techniques to preserve tissue at the nanoscale level and are building tools to extract memory information from preserved tissue.
Nectome is looking for a prototyping engineer to speed up throughput and increase reliability of experiments. Experience with PCB layout, basic lab automation, motor controller design, and microfluidic devices preferred. Strong prototyping and troubleshooting skills required.